cover pic

cover pic

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Making Natural Carpet Freshener


Our family recently purchased a rustic cabin with the intention of it being used as a guest cottage.  It has been uninhabited and closed up for quite a while and smells rather musty.  Today I prepared a simple carpet freshener to sprinkle on the carpets and furniture which will be left overnight until the cleaning service comes the next day to vacuum it all up.  The only ingredients are equal parts baking soda and corn starch, along with a few drops of essential oil.  In my case, I used about 10 drops of lemongrass pure essential oil to half a cup each of the baking soda and corn starch.  No need to buy expensive brands since it is just going to be vacuumed anyway.  I do like to use pure essential oils, but be careful if you have light colored carpets since some of the oils do have a golden tint to them.  In this cabin, the mismatched carpets are already a golden brown color, so no worries there.  I always wear an apron when working with oils since they stain clothing if spilled or splashed.  This is my favorite apron which was handmade and worn by my great-grandmother years ago on her mountain farm.  Here's hoping that our guest quarters will be smelling lemony fresh in a few days!

1 comment:

Leave a comment.